Claims Against the City

The City of Kennedale's objective in responding to claims is to ensure: 

  • Fairness
  • Timeliness
  • Transparency

If you have incurred costs from damages or injuries for which you believe the city may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below for the city to consider your claim. While the city does make every effort to resolve issues informally where possible, we are not always liable for your damages. Thus, the burden is on you to prove your claim and your damages. The city will not be held responsible for costs, unless you can provide evidence that the city committed a negligent act or omission, which resulted in injury or damage.

What You Need To Know

 Please read the suggestions and reminders below:

  • Even if you filled out a police report as a result of an accident or other event, you still need to file a claim notice (PDF) with the City of Kennedale.
  • To expedite your claim, you should place the City of Kennedale on notice as soon as possible. We participate in the Texas Municipal League's Intergovernmental Risk Pool (TMLIRP) for property, automobile, general liability, and worker's compensation coverage and must coordinate with them to begin the claim process.
  • We suggest that you contact your own insurer regarding damages. You may be eligible for greater compensation than you can legally recover from the city. If your insurer believes that the city is responsible for your damage, they will seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy.
  • Whenever damage to city property is caused by a third party, the City of Kennedale seeks recovery of the related costs from the responsible party (e.g., for damage to property such as street lights and hydrants).

Note: Fraudulent claims cost all taxpayers. The city will prosecute all fraudulent claims.

How To Submit A Claim

To begin the claim process, you must submit a notarized Notice of Claim Against the City (PDF) for damages, injury, or loss to you or your property in addition to any supporting records, such as receipts, estimates, invoices, photos, diagrams, etc. The notice may be submitted as follows:

  • By fax to (817) 483-0720
  • By mail to the City of Kennedale, ATTN: Finance Director, 405 Municipal Drive, Kennedale, TX 76060
  • In person at the Finance Department, 405 Municipal Drive, Kennedale, TX 76060
  • Via email to the Finance Director

Note: A claim must be signed by the person filing the claim. However, if the claimant is incapacitated from verifying, presenting, and filing the claim or the claimant is a minor, the claim may be submitted on behalf of the claimant by any relative, attorney or agent representing the claimant.

What You Can Expect

Upon submission of your claim notice, the Finance Department may contact you for further details or with additional questions. Once all information is secured, we forward all claims to our insurance provider for evaluation, and they will be in communication with you from this point forward. You should receive correspondence or communication from our insurance representative and/or claims adjuster within a reasonable time period. If this does not occur, email the Finance Director, and we will inquire as to the status of your claim.

Note: Before a claim is filed and investigated, the City of Kennedale cannot authorize payment for a rental vehicle. If you need to rent a vehicle, it is up to the claimant's discretion. Our claims adjuster must complete an investigation to determine responsibility prior to any authorization of a rental vehicle. Please contact your own automobile insurance company for assistance in the meantime. Otherwise, you may be responsible for all or part of that rental expense.