Requests for Public Information
The Texas Public Information Act gives you the right to request access to government information.
Please note that requests for Police Reports must be made through the Kennedale Police Department.
Many frequently requested documents are online, including:
- Board and Council Meetings: Agendas and Packets for Council and Advisory Board meetings
- Laserfiche Portal: Ordinances, Resolutions, Agendas, Packets, Minutes, and Press Releases
- Monthly Reports: Permits, Structure Fires, and Substandard Buildings
- MuniCode: Code of Ordinances and Copies of Individual Ordinances
Public Information Request (Open Records Request | FOIA)
If what you need is not available online, you can make a public information request. Staff may not ask why you want the information, but may ask for clarification if needed. Please be aware that some records are exempt from disclosure or require redaction. Information on public information requests, including cost, appeals, general information, and a PDF of the Texas Public Information Handbook can be found in the Open Government Section of the Texas Attorney General's website.
Requests should be for existing documents or information. Documents will not be created to fulfill a request. The City Secretary's office will respond to your request as quickly as possible. If the request requires more than ten business days to complete, you will be contacted and provided an estimated date of completion. All requests must be made in writing (via mail, fax, email, or by presenting a document in person). Only written requests trigger a governmental body's obligations under the Public Information Act.
At a minimum, you must include:
- A description of the information sought that is detailed enough for city staff to quickly and accurately locate the proper documents.
- How you would like to receive the information
(via email (if available), printed copies, or have the originals available for inspection at City Hall)
- A daytime telephone number and any other pertinent contact information.
- The name and address of the person making the request.
You do not need to cite any specific law or use a certain phrase when making the request, but the request must be in writing (whether hand-written or typed).
- Complete and send your request online (preferred); or
- Mail (or submit a request in person) to: City Secretary's Office
405 Municipal Dr.
Kennedale, TX 76060; or
- Send your request via email; or
- Fax your request to 817-478-7169.
Fees associated with the fulfillment of requests made under the Public Information Act can be found in the schedule of fees (PDF). A person may ask to view the information, get copies of the information, or both. If a request is for copies of information, the governmental body may charge for the copies. If a request is only for an opportunity to inspect information, then usually the governmental body may not impose a charge on the requestor.
If your request does incur a fee, the City of Kennedale may require prepayment. Charges vary depending on factors including, but not limited to, the number of responsive documents, personnel time required, amount of redaction necessary, and location of the responsive files (some files are stored off-site).
Vaguely-worded or broad requests return more results. The more specific your request, the quicker it can be fulfilled. Generally, the city will charge $0.10 per page and $15.00 an hour for labor. Requests for standard-sized documents that will be delivered via email usually do not incur charges, unless the request:
- is for more than fifty (50) pages,
- requires more than thirty (30) minutes of personnel time to locate, compile, manipulate data, and reproduce the information, or
- includes documents that are stored off-site.
If the estimated charges exceed $40.00, the requestor must approve an itemized estimate before work begins. When estimated costs exceed $100.00, the requestor is required to make a deposit (typically 100% of the estimate) before work begins. If a requestor (or their organization) has a balance exceeding $100.00 for past requests, the City of Kennedale will not process additional requests until the account is paid in full. You must approve any estimate of charges within ten (10) business days of the date the estimate is sent or the request will be considered withdrawn.
If you need more information, please email us!